Monday, July 6, 2009

T.J. Hooker's Back on the Beat


According to Variety, T.J. Hooker, the '80s cop show featuring William Shatner as, well - William Shatner - is headed to the big screen. Chuck Russell, the man behind the 1988 remake of The Blob (as well as The Mask, Eraser, and The Scorpion King) will direct from a script by Brent Maddock and S.S. Wilson (who each hold a credit on the most ridiculous remake in history, Wild Wild West).

I'm actually quite fond of The Blob remake. When I turned 15, my folks took me and a bunch of my friends to see it for my birthday, and we had a blast. Rated R movies are much better when you're under age. As far as remakes go, it's pretty solid. Russell's hit or miss, so who knows how it'll look. The writing team, on the other hand, gave us Wild Wild West. I don't think a remake's ever pissed me off as much as that one did. EVER.

The article says that the new film will focus on Hooker's relationship with his father. I say bollocks to that; just continue the show. Let Shatner pick up right where he left off, still a sergeant for the LCPD, still training rookies how to slide over squad car hoods with geriatric panache. Don't even address his age - just let him go hog-wild. It'd be like a two-hour long Priceline commercial, but with guns! Keep Heather Locklear all pilled up and throw her in there too - you know, for continuity. And make Adrian Zmed's hair the villian. It'll work.

No comments:

Post a Comment