Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Aaron Sorkin joins Facebook, friends David Fincher


Aaron Sorkin's done some great work. The crack film and tv writer/producer behind A Few Good Men, The West Wing and Charlie Wilson's War (not to mention the underrated Sports Night and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip) has gone and tackled the hottest fad of the new millenium: social networking.

/Film tracked down a script review of The Social Network, Sorkin's adaptation of Ben Mezrich's soon-to-be-published novel The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a Tale of Sex, Money, Genius and Betrayal. Mezrich, you'll remember, was the author of Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas, which spawned its own movie version, 2008's 21.

According to ScriptShadow (the blog where the actual script review resides), the script is really long (162 pages), and doesn't have any real structure to speak of. Doesn't sound very promising, but their final verdict calls the script "impressive," and states that it contains so much humor that it borders on a comedy.

Color me curious. I wasn't blown away by 21, but that was probably due to the fact that I knew that the filmmakers really sexed up the truth to get that oh-so-important 18-24 demographic. It wasn't a bad film - just a fairly typical one. I'm a pretty heavy Facebook user, and the little bit of history I've read on the site's genesis has been really fascinating and left me wanting to know more. With David Fincher directing Sorkin's script, things could get intriguing. Oh...wait - did I forget to mention Fincher's involvement? Silly me.

No comments:

Post a Comment