Friday, July 10, 2009

Eli Roth's out of The Cell


Eli Roth took time out of his schedule recently to speak with ComingSoon.net, and while the full interview won't run until the premiere of Inglourious Basterds, Shock 'Til You Drop was able to preview a few tidbits on what the man will - and won't - be doing for the next few years.

It seems that Hostel: Part III is full-steam ahead, but Roth won't have anything to do with it. "I've said everything I have to say with it," said the creator of the series. "I feel very lucky I got to make them and the fans responded the way they did, and if you guys want to continue it, great, go ahead." It looks like the direct-to-dvd film is moving forward with his blessing, but that's about it.

More interesting to me is what Roth had to say about his involvement with Cell, Stephen King's 2006 shot at the zombie genre. "I walked off 'Cell' kind of quietly," Roth confessed, citing creative differences in reference to the adaptation. I'm a huge King fan, but Cell left me a little flat. It was bursting with potential, but when I finished the final page, I was unfulfilled. Maybe Roth felt the same way - or maybe the studio felt the same way, and Roth wanted to stick to the source material. I don't know. He simply goes on to say that it was an amicable split, and that the future of the movie remains up in the air.

They get a few more thoughts from Mr. Roth regarding a remake of Tobe Hooper's Funhouse, his love for Friday the 13th Part IV and Nightmare on Elm Street III, and RZA's (of Wu Tang Clan fame) directorial debut The Man with the Iron Fist. There's also a smidgen of info about Endangered Species, his secret sci-fi blow-'em-up that's got everyone bristling with anticipation - but just a smidgen.

The full interview won't run for a couple more weeks, but as far as early looks go, there's a ton of information here to ponder. Head on over there and check it out!




Digg!

No comments:

Post a Comment